COCONUT FIBRE ACT
Arrangement of Sections
1. Short title.
2. Coconut Fibre Board.
3. Powers and duties of the Board.
4. Remuneration of members of the Board.
5. Sales room.
6. Registration of auctioneers and brokers.
7. Sales to be conducted by registered auctioneers.
8. Registration of shippers, dealers and millers.
9. Stock-books to be kept by shippers dealers and millers.
11. Power of Board to call for formation.
12. Returns to be verified by statutory declaration.
13. Particulars in returns to be treated as confidential.
14. Penalty for unlawful disclosure or publication of information.
15. Sale certificates.
16. Fibre export licence.
17. Regulations relating to the manufacture and export of coconut fibre.
19. Transfer of moneys to the Board.
20. Accounts and budget.
21. Right of inspection.
22. Protection of officers.
23. Gratuities and provident fund.
24. Power of Minister to mitigate case of hardship.
25. Offences and penalties.
27. Ministerial Orders for transitional period.
17 of 1967,
50 of 1971,
56 of 1971,
45 of 1984.
AN ACT to regulate encourage and assist the development of the Coconut Fiber industry in Sri Lanka and the export of coconut fibre and coconut fibre products from Sri Lanka, and to make provision for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
[Date of Commencement: 10th March, 1968]
1. Short title.
This Act may be cited as the Coconut Fibre Act.
2. Coconut Fibre Board.
(1) For the purposes of this Act, there shall be established a Board called "The Coconut Fibre Board”, hereinafter referred to as ”the Board”, which shall consist of a Chairman and ten other members all of whom shall be appointed by the Minister. Of such ten members, four members shall be appointed out of lists of names submitted by fibre millers associations in Sri Lanka, and one member shall be appointed out of lists of five names, each such list being submitted by a single trade union, registered under the Trade Unions Ordinance, and representing the coconut fibre milling industry.
(2) The Board shall be a body corporate and shall have perpetual succession and a common seal.
(3) The seal of the Board shall be authenticated in the prescribed manner and when so authenticated shall be judicially noticed.
(4) The Board may sue and be sued under the name and style of "The Coconut Fibre Board”.
(5) The Board shall appoint a Manager and a Secretary.
(6) Any service on the Board of any legal process or notice may be effected by service on the Secretary of the Board. In civil proceedings, it shall be lawful for the Secretary to sign proxies on behalf of the Board.
(7) Five members of the Board excluding the Chairman or other presiding member shall form a quorum thereof; but subject to the provisions of this subsection, the Board may act notwithstanding any vacancy in their number.
(8) The Chairman and every other member of the Board shall, upon appointment, hold office for a period of three years; but the Minister may, notwithstanding the term of any such appointment, remove the Chairman or any other member of the Board from office at any time:
Provided that it shall be lawful for the Chairman or any other member of the Board to resign therefrom at any time.
(9) Any person ceasing to be a member of the Board shall be eligible for reappointment thereto.
(10) The Chairman shall preside at all meetings of the Board at which he is present. In the absence of the Chairman from any meeting, the members present at that meeting may, subject to the provisions of subsection (7), elect one of their own number to be the Chairman at that meeting.
(11) The Chairman may summon a meeting of the Board at any time, and shall summon a meeting upon receipt of a requisition therefor signed by three members of the Board.
(12) All questions shall be decided by a majority of the members voting at a meeting of the Board. The Chairman or presiding member shall have an original vote on all questions as well as a casting vote if the votes be equally divided.
(13) A member of the Board who is absent without reasonable cause from three consecutive meetings of the Board may, by resolution of the Board passed at a meeting of which notice has been duly given, be held to have vacated his office; and, upon the passing of any such resolution, the member affected by that resolution shall cease to be a member of the Board.
(14) The Board may regulate its own procedure in any matters not provided for in this Act or in regulations made thereunder.
3. Powers and duties of the Board.
(1) Subject to the provisions of subsection (2), the Board shall have full power and authority—
(a) to acquire and hold property, movable or immovable, and to sell, transfer, lease, mortgage or otherwise dispose of such property;
(b) to appoint, employ and remunerate and control its officers and servants and to direct and decide all matters connected with the administration of its affairs;
(c) to take such steps as it may consider necessary, both in and outside Sri Lanka, to advertise Sri Lanka coconut fibre, to create, promote, encourage and further the demand for coconut fibre in the markets of the world, and to initiate, finance, support and supervise propaganda work for the sale of coconut fibre or for other purposes connected therewith or incidental thereto;
(d) to take such steps as it may consider necessary for the development or welfare of the coconut fibre industry by organising, assisting or participating in exhibitions or fairs in or outside Sri Lanka;
(e) subject to such regulations as may be made in that behalf, to aid and finance local associations or cooperative societies formed for the advancement and support of the coconut fibre industry;
(f) to formulate a scheme for the re-organisation of the industry to be approved by the Minister, and to promote and subsidise the erection or extension of factories in which coconut fibre may be manufactured or used;
(g) subject to such regulations as may be made in that behalf, to grant financial assistance to local associations or co-operative societies in the shipping of coconut fibre;
(h) to investigate questions relating to freight and the export or transport of coconut fibre and to make recommendations thereon to the Minister;
(i) to formulate for the consideration of the Minister, schemes for the establishment, supervision, control and financial support of such institutions as may be or become necessary for the amelioration of the conditions of the coconut fibre industry;
(j) to receive and disburse moneys for the accomplishment of the objects for which it is established;
(k) to raise funds or capital and to borrow money whether on the security of its assets or otherwise;
(l) to establish, manage, supervise and support a sales room for the sale of coconut fibre within and outside Sri Lanka;
(m) to formulate schemes to give effect to the objects and purposes of this Act;
(n) to enter into contracts and generally to do all such things as may be necessary for the due exercise of the powers conferred and for due compliance with the duties imposed upon the Board by this Act or by regulations made thereunder;
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.